Buying a property for alpacas farm

You want alpacas and you just started looking for a land to fulfill your dream of peace.

But watch out! Buying a house and a house to establish a farm is two very different things! If you care about your project, you need to take some precautions first. For that, some administrative and legal steps can help!

Offer "conditional to..."

When purchasing your farm property, be sure to always have the conditional offer registered to the right to have an alpaca farm on your land. Have as much detail as possible, including the amount of alpacas you want in the long term to secure your project when you offer to purchase.

Generally (and desirable), you will be asked to contact the municipal inspector who will be able to confirm this possibility. Always request written proof to the municipal inspector of this right, even if you apply before making an offer to purchase. Keep this evidence precious To avoid the turnaround!

Registering this condition will allow you to break your offer of purchase agreement if the municipal authorities refuse your project for the property referred to during your call.

Why? Even in the agricultural area, municipalities have rights in their territory and can ban a particular type of farming activities.

In addition, some odor-level rules (odour coefficient), distance from the nearest agglomeration or adjacent houses could have a significant impact on your project. Note that if there is no farm (including animals) already on the coveted land, the regulations are much strict (no acquired rights, so you will have to comply with the latest regulations for buildings, shelters and limitatrices distances).

In our own research, it was by informing us to ensure that we had the right to have alpacas on land that we discovered that some properties had changed zoning without the owner being made aware (so No right to have alpacas there!). Others had lost their acquired right because there were no more animals for too long (so many costs and problems in sight)... Of course, some estate agent don't know anything about this right lost ! Never trust the estate agent for the status of the property. Confirm the zoning and the possibilities on this property by the city inspector.

Agricultural land attached to the property

Especially in case there is no acquired right (new breeding), looking for a land larger than you need.

Many regulations exist at the environmental level and a municipality that decides to regulate to the letter all the limitatrices distances of your new property can restrict much the use of a too small land... even going To say that breeding is finally impossible!

Estate agents often sell under the term "farmhouse" small houses in the countryside that have a large land zoned agricultural. But there is no confirmation that these lands can be legally suitable for breeding... There's always a risk!

Why? There are a lot of rules when you talk about ' farming ' and not ' mini-farm '. Ensure that the city inspector understands your plans and intentions as well as the number of animals you want to have. Although alpacas breeding usually goes hand-held for the phosphorus rate, other rules may restrict you in your project.

Note, for example: shelters must be at distances of 15m from any agricultural ditch (which separates land, but does not go to a watercourse) and 30m from any human consumption well. On a 2-acre land, there is only a tiny portion of the land where shelters can be built if they are not already in place (and in the right place!!! Otherwise, you may be asked to move them!!!). There are also regulations on distance with neighbouring residences with pastures... etc.

The licences

Some municipalities may apply to obtain permits for your fencing, to have the right to have your alpacas, a sign announcing your farm and for the construction of your shelters/boutique...

Ask the city inspector if you need special permits for your breeding or specifications to respect for your buildings/fences in order to comply with the current regulations. It may seem obvious, but it is not always. If there is any dispute, it is often possible to request a derogation (for example, for the height of your fences; a classic problem for alpacas breeding...). A request for a derogation cost several hundred dollars.

Why? Some municipalities ask for a report made by an agronomist (approximately between 1000 and $2000 of your pocket) certifying that your facilities projects conform to current environmental standards. Sometimes even special measures taken by a surveyor (approximately between $500 and $1500) to make sure that your fences are exactly in the right place relative to the neighbouring residences.

In some cases, an architect and other obligations may be required if you build buildings (4 walls). Without these reports, they can refuse to issue the permits, which will complicate your life a lot.

Find out what they need to deliver the licences on the preliminary call... and make sure you understand it. It could save you a lot of unnecessary delays and unexpected expenses!

We don't always think about this when buying a property. It is said that we will be able to settle the licences applications easily later... sometimes that is not the case!

But it's complicated all this!!!

Stay calm, especially. The majority of the time can be established easily.

Some MRC or municipalities seem to be much more demanding than others. Some are reluctant to see animals that they do not know about Eve or Adam. So it will be up to you to initiate them...

Take note that I am not a lawyer, nor an attorney, nor a notary... but I hope that my experience in this field will serve others in order to avoid these unexpected things not so welcome in the early stages of a company!

Poster un Commentaire

Notify of